1. Zhaghzhagh (Persian): The chattering of teeth from the cold or from rage.
2. Yuputka (Ulwa): A word made for walking in the woods at night, it’s the phantom sensation of something crawling on your skin.
3. Slampadato (Italian): Addicted to the UV glow of tanning salons? This word describes you.
4. Luftmensch (Yiddish): There are several Yiddish words to describe social misfits. This one is for an impractical dreamer with no business sense. Literally, air person.
5. Iktsuarpok (Inuit): You know that feeling of anticipation when you’re waiting for someone to show up at your house and you keep going outside to see if they’re there yet? This is the word for it.
6. Cotisuelto (Caribbean Spanish): A word that would aptly describe the prevailing fashion trend among American men under 40, it means one who wears the shirt tail outside of his trousers.
7. Pana Po’o (Hawaiian): “Hmm, now where did I leave those keys?” he said, pana po’oing. It means to scratch your head in order to help you remember something you’ve forgotten.
8. Gumusservi (Turkish): Meteorologists can be poets in Turkey with words like this at their disposal. It means moonlight shining on water.
9. Vybafnout (Czech): A word tailor-made for annoying older brothers—it means to jump out and say boo.
10. Mencolek (Indonesian): You know that old trick where you tap someone lightly on the opposite shoulder from behind to fool them? The Indonesians have a word for it.
11. Faamiti (Samoan): To make a squeaking sound by sucking air past the lips in order to gain the attention of a dog or child.
12. Glas wen (Welsh): A smile that is insincere or mocking. Literally, a blue smile.
13. Bakku-shan (Japanese): The experience of seeing a woman who appears pretty from behind but not from the front.
14. Boketto (Japanese): It’s nice to know that the Japanese think enough of the act of gazing vacantly into the distance without thinking to give it a name.
15. Kummerspeck (German): Excess weight gained from emotional overeating. Literally, grief bacon.
16. Mencomet (Indonesian): Stealing things of small value such as food or drinks, partly for fun.
17. Scheissbedauern (German): The disappointment one feels when something turns out not nearly as badly as one had hoped.
18. Mono-no-aware (Japanese): Appreciating the sadness of existence.
19. Mahj (Persian): Looking beautiful after disease.
20. Plimpplamppletteren (Dutch): The skimming of a flat stone as many times as possible across the surface of the water.
21. Koshatnik (Russian): A person who loves cats (actually there is an equivalent for this: ailurophile - thus the list is not completely correct).
22. Ava (Tahitian): Wife (but also means whisky).
- rainraincomethisway reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- frereyancy likes this
- themightywordsmith reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- a-proper-name-with-no-referent reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- a-proper-name-with-no-referent likes this
- madnurseofshrudder reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- seitilaer reblogged this from aquietrevolutionary
- naeshira likes this
- ms-debano reblogged this from vikinglumberjack
- totallylegitdeeds reblogged this from dead-serkets
- totallylegitdeeds likes this
- dead-serkets likes this
- dead-serkets reblogged this from vikinglumberjack
- vikinglumberjack reblogged this from aquietrevolutionary
- aquietrevolutionary reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- abeautytobehold reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- canadiancassie reblogged this from theredangrybird
- canadiancassie likes this
- theredangrybird reblogged this from endofthedustytrail
- clewlows reblogged this from jumpingjacktrash
- rayofsunrb reblogged this from petrovafyre
- haileylynnsey likes this
- tapme reblogged this from thenamesropelson
- amberraysofdawn reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- bibiburdie reblogged this from buildingmosaicsoutoflife
- spontaneous-wallflower likes this
- emilyatplu reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- lets-be-us likes this
- the-clone-clubber likes this
- obrui reblogged this from wildredrose14
- wildredrose14 reblogged this from petrovafyre
- petrovafyre reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- avehs reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- green-feathers reblogged this from opalescentegg
- ballerinaduck likes this
- opalescentegg reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- opalescentegg likes this
- through-k8tlyns-eyes likes this
- quotemeonit reblogged this from arsenalinthetrunk
- kiararosephoto likes this
- fosterthegeese likes this
- lookat-thisstuff reblogged this from nonbinaryeldritchhorror
- thedragonfly257 reblogged this from wurthu
- nevermind-the-words reblogged this from wurthu
- twistyrocks likes this
- wurthu reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- whydidikeeptheseinmylikes reblogged this from dogslug
- ledinozavre reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- 6stronghands reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- crushingakrasia reblogged this from acnebomb