1. Zhaghzhagh (Persian): The chattering of teeth from the cold or from rage.
2. Yuputka (Ulwa): A word made for walking in the woods at night, it’s the phantom sensation of something crawling on your skin.
3. Slampadato (Italian): Addicted to the UV glow of tanning salons? This word describes you.
4. Luftmensch (Yiddish): There are several Yiddish words to describe social misfits. This one is for an impractical dreamer with no business sense. Literally, air person.
5. Iktsuarpok (Inuit): You know that feeling of anticipation when you’re waiting for someone to show up at your house and you keep going outside to see if they’re there yet? This is the word for it.
6. Cotisuelto (Caribbean Spanish): A word that would aptly describe the prevailing fashion trend among American men under 40, it means one who wears the shirt tail outside of his trousers.
7. Pana Po’o (Hawaiian): “Hmm, now where did I leave those keys?” he said, pana po’oing. It means to scratch your head in order to help you remember something you’ve forgotten.
8. Gumusservi (Turkish): Meteorologists can be poets in Turkey with words like this at their disposal. It means moonlight shining on water.
9. Vybafnout (Czech): A word tailor-made for annoying older brothers—it means to jump out and say boo.
10. Mencolek (Indonesian): You know that old trick where you tap someone lightly on the opposite shoulder from behind to fool them? The Indonesians have a word for it.
11. Faamiti (Samoan): To make a squeaking sound by sucking air past the lips in order to gain the attention of a dog or child.
12. Glas wen (Welsh): A smile that is insincere or mocking. Literally, a blue smile.
13. Bakku-shan (Japanese): The experience of seeing a woman who appears pretty from behind but not from the front.
14. Boketto (Japanese): It’s nice to know that the Japanese think enough of the act of gazing vacantly into the distance without thinking to give it a name.
15. Kummerspeck (German): Excess weight gained from emotional overeating. Literally, grief bacon.
16. Mencomet (Indonesian): Stealing things of small value such as food or drinks, partly for fun.
17. Scheissbedauern (German): The disappointment one feels when something turns out not nearly as badly as one had hoped.
18. Mono-no-aware (Japanese): Appreciating the sadness of existence.
19. Mahj (Persian): Looking beautiful after disease.
20. Plimpplamppletteren (Dutch): The skimming of a flat stone as many times as possible across the surface of the water.
21. Koshatnik (Russian): A person who loves cats (actually there is an equivalent for this: ailurophile - thus the list is not completely correct).
22. Ava (Tahitian): Wife (but also means whisky).
- haileylynnsey likes this
- tapme reblogged this from thenamesropelson
- amberraysofdawn reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- rainbowsalloveryourbluesvs reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- rainbowsalloveryourbluesvs likes this
- bellyonrotund reblogged this from buildingmosaicsoutoflife
- spontaneous-wallflower likes this
- emilyatplu reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- hannah-shikari reblogged this from hanashikari
- lets-be-us likes this
- theparadoxedponds likes this
- urdorite reblogged this from wildredrose14
- wildredrose14 reblogged this from petrovafyre
- petrovafyre reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- themightywordsmith likes this
- avehs reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- green-feathers reblogged this from opalescentegg
- ballerina-duck likes this
- opalescentegg reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- opalescentegg likes this
- through-k8tlyns-eyes likes this
- quotemeonit reblogged this from arsenalinthetrunk
- kiararosephotography likes this
- fosterthegeese likes this
- lookat-thisstuff reblogged this from justazombiewithakeyboard
- thedragonfly257 reblogged this from pteropus717
- nevermind-the-words reblogged this from pteropus717
- twistyrocks likes this
- pteropus717 reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- whydidikeeptheseinmylikes reblogged this from dogslug
- ledinozavre reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- 6stronghands reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- crushingakrasia reblogged this from acnebomb
- crazypeopleplaychess reblogged this from logicandsarcasm
- solitarius-scriptor likes this
- that-one-creeper reblogged this from luminary-child
- that-one-creeper likes this
- luminary-child reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- eslynnh reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- booksong likes this
- plaidsleep reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- penguin-people reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- idktbhwhatisthiseven reblogged this from thewritershelpers
- thesoulsglade reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- beautifulinourfashion reblogged this from alseid
- alseid reblogged this from victoriousvocabulary
- redcaplf likes this
- samudra likes this
- arinrowan reblogged this from wickednoizyfr3ak